Keep Teaching Science!
Successful Strategies to Adapt K–12 Science Experiences for Distance Learning
BY VANESSA WOLBRINK, JENNY SARNA
The sudden shift to distance and hybrid learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic created a need to identify virtual and at-home science experiences that reflect the vision of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and A Framework for K–12 Science Education, ensuring students keep learning science. NextGenScience partnered with materials developers and educators to learn about and highlight examples of effective and equitable adaptations for science teaching and learning at a distance. This report includes information about:
- Strategies to adapt science materials for distance learning
- Explaining phenomena or designing solutions
- Integrating the three dimensions for instruction and assessment
- Motivating student sense-making of a phenomenon by leveraging the context of students’ homes and communities
- Eliciting student ideas through discourse and writing in both synchronous and asynchronous environments
- Building on students’ prior knowledge
- Considerations for supporting teachers in a distance environment
- Technology considerations for a distance learning environment
Watch the archived Keep Teaching Science webinar to learn more.