Before using this task, consider reviewing the Guidance for Use document, which provides suggestions for the most effective ways the TDSciN Task Library can be used to support high-quality science teaching and learning.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TASK
Driving Problem: Students are told their new boss has asked them to be a part of a design team that will build a toy camera that will use flashing lights for young children to pretend to take pictures. However, the flashing light isn’t bright enough on the initial prototype. Students try to figure out how to make it brighter.
Tennessee Academic Standards for Science and Next Generation Science Standards Learning Targets
Tennessee Academic Standards for Science
- 3.PS3.2: Apply scientific ideas to design, test, and refine a device that converts electrical energy to another form of energy, using open or closed simple circuits.
Next Generation Science Standards
- Science and Engineering Practices
Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
- Grade 3-5 Element: Apply scientific ideas to solve design problems.
- Crosscutting Concepts
System and System Models
- Grade 3-5 Element: A system is a group of related parts that make up a whole and can carry out functions its individual parts cannot
- Disciplinary Core Ideas
3.PSA. Definitions of Energy
- Grade 3-5 Element: Energy can be moved from place to place by moving objects or through sound, light, or electric currents.
3.PSB. Conservation of Energy and Energy Transfer
- Grade 3-5 Element: Energy can also be transferred from place to place by electric currents, which can then be used locally to produce motion, sound, heat, or light. The currents may have been produced to begin with by transforming the energy of motion into electrical energy.
The Tennessee District Science Network was funded by Arconic Foundation.