Before using these tasks, consider reviewing the Guidance for Use document, which provides suggestions for the most effective ways the TDSciN Task Library can be used to support high-quality science teaching and learning.
Driving Problem: The world is running out of helium. Students try to figure out different solutions to this problem.
Tennessee Academic Standards for Science and Next Generation Science Standards Learning Targets
Tennessee Academic Standards for Science
- 7.PS.1.5: Use the periodic table as a model to analyze and interpret evidence relating to physical and chemical properties to identify a sample of matter.
Next Generation Science Standards
- Science and Engineering Practices
Engaging in Argument From Evidence
- Middle School Element: Construct, use, and/or present an oral and written argument supported by empirical evidence and scientific reasoning to support or refute an explanation or a model for a phenomenon or a solution to a problem.
- Disciplinary Core Ideas
PS1.A: Structure and Properties of Matter
- Middle School Element: Each pure substance has characteristic physical and chemical properties (for any bulk quantity under given conditions) that can be used to identify it.
- Crosscutting Concepts
- Middle School Element: Macroscopic patterns are related to the nature of microscopic and atomic-level structure.
- Middle School Element: Graphs, charts, and images can be used to identify patterns in data.